Saturday, January 30, 2010

Zapada Zapada Zapada!

Well, since my last update the newest thing I have to report here is zapada-snow! We have had snowfall after snowfall! It has been beautiful, yet colder than I have ever experienced or could have ever imagined. The snow storms have left us snowed in time after time and we have officially now shoveled the road leading to Casa Elisabeta, clearing all the snow off of it, 4 times in the past two weeks. In fact, one day as soon as we had finished clearing the road it immediately began to snow again leaving us snowed in once again just 24 hours later...Surprisingly I still absolutely love it and have actually been enjoying the long days outside with a shovel and one of the girls or two and the staff, as it has been getting me outside of the house and in the snow with good company...Though I really could do without the -20s temperature, but I guess that is all apart of the experience, right?...

A freshly cleared road in front of Elisabeta:

(perspective-the sides are above my waist)
A few afternoons when I haven't been needed to shovel I have enjoyed continuing going over to the boys at Casa Rachel for a few hours. Each time I find that I spend most of the afternoon chatting and practicing my Romanian with the boys catching up with them, definitely a highlight! Due to the snow workshop has been off and on, thus all have been getting a little cabin fevered. But as of Thursday afternoon we have been free from a white powdery road and thus have enjoyed visits from Mama and Tata at Elisabeta, workshop, choir and even an afternoon of Bingo at Casa Rachel...lots of activities thrown into a short span of time-I know. Include in that making a snowman outside and cut out cookies inside as well as church at Casa Jacob this morning.
Snowy sunrise-

Just now as I was writing this update I got a knock on my door by one of the girls urging me to come outside. Everyone suited up in snow gear and we all headed out to the front yard to make a snowman-Mama Sandie's orders at church. Needless to say I could not have asked for a better interruption. We successfully made and 'clothed' a snowman well over 6 feet (2 meters), in fact its so tall you should have seen the house woman, Mariana (though we all call her Popa) trying to put the hat on his head! It was loads of fun and I now know the proper way to make a snowman thanks to the girls and Popa...I had no idea so much rolling was involved. After completing the snowman together, the girls all turned on me and started a full blown snowball fight of me versus them as they hurled snow at me while I frantically ran around the yard hiding behind trees and bushes...Well, 8 versus 1 isn't the best odds for me and it ended with me in the snow with a few of them on top of me and everyone else piling snow on me with Popa laughing on the side. It was a blast! Though I must confess that I am not quite content inside in a warm dry change of clothes camped out next to the heater before masa.



Catalina helping pack snow to fill in the snowman-
Our giant snowman-(my head comes up to about the 7th rock button...)
(unfortunately no pictures of the snow fight, wish I had thought to give Popa my camera, but there just wasn't any time...)

That is all that is new. I will be returning back to Southern California come end of February, in fact in just over 2 and a half weeks...I really can't believe how fast time has flown!! Feels like just the other day I was packing my backpack for Austria, let alone arriving at Tanner Romania Mission, yet when all is said and done I will have spent 8 wonderful months abroad and 5 of those living here in Nicoresti, Romania. I will try to update once again before leaving, but no promises. I have a feeling things will stay quite busy especially since all know how soon I am leaving. We are looking forward to another Bingo afternoon as well as a Valentine's Day Dance and a visit from a past volunteer for a week or so before I go...

John 3:8

1 comment:

Dan Babu said...

Yo Ashely.
Are you back home?... So what do you think about the whole Romanian experience.

Dan