Monday, November 30, 2009

Mekele, Ethiopia

I am now back (and have been for a week) safe and sound in Romania after an amazing week in Mekele, Ethiopia! But before I even start to talk about Ethiopia, let me just say that as tiring as actual traveling is (i.e. buses, planes, taxis, trains, ect)...that is where half of the adventure and fun therein lies. I took a total of 3 buses, 2 taxis, 2 trains, and 7 planes to get to and from Meleke, Ethiopia and on those rides I had the best 4 hour conversation with a bus driver about America, met a famous Egyptian singer, rode in the driver's car of a train, ate a free cheese sandwich for breakfast at 5am waiting for customs in Cairo, and was loaned $7 US by a complete stranger who was Irish (why have American cash?) traveling from Baghdad...The journey was definitely just as memorable as the destination...


Ethiopia was...wow, where to begin-amazing, awesome, exhilerating, touching, reminiscent, humbling, motivating, encouraging, confirming, and such a blessing!
I had the great pleasure and opportunity of joining a team of 16, mostly from the In Focus ministry of Rocky Peak Church from southern California. We worked in the northern Tigray region of Ethiopia, based out of the main city Mekele, in 4 surrounding villages to test for and distribute reading and distance glasses for free as well as providing HIV/AIDS education, serving grounds for church planting and evangelism. In the 4 full days of clinics we were able to distribute over 1800 glasses! My job the first 2 days was cataract checks...aka check every single person's eyes who came through to see if we would even be able to help them, unfortunately the equipment we worked with could not get an accurate reading if someone had cataracts which completely occluded the pupil...however we could still test them for up close/reading glasses and thus didn't have to turn away too too many disappointed people. The other days I helped out in distance testing and the reading glasses station, and of course, taking inventory. It was great to be able to learn more and experience a different clinic setting in order to apply some aspects to the clinics in Romania come September (Footsteps Missions/FISH), but most of all it was absolutely amazing to meet so many passionate and inspiring Ethiopians. Many great conversations, jokes, and new friends, and of course getting to see old friends. I stayed a bit longer than the rest of the team and was able to meet up with and spend the whole day with Teki, my brother. The summer of 2007 Katie and I spent 2 months in Ethiopia, just her, myself, Rick and Ethiopian E3 employee Tekalign, Teki for short. Such a blessing to be able to see him again, haven't seen or spoken live with him since August 2007, so we had much catching up to do as you can imagine. Other highlights from my week in Ethiopia include a visit to the Compassion headquarters with Pastor Rick and Teki, spending time with Katie who cut my hair in our hotel bathroom one night, coffee ceremonies, celebrating Katie's 23rd birthday with ambasha (Tigraian bread), and being given tons of new warm clothes from other members of the team when they heard I was returning to winter in Romania including gloves, scarves, long sleeves, sweats, jackets, and even hot chocolate. Such a blessing to be able to be provided for in this way!!
Waiting in line to get eyes checked:

HIV Education and evangelism:
Proud new glasses owner:
Reading glasses station:
Team photo:
Teki and I:

Will update my blog again next week about all the exciting happenings that have taken place since my return to Romania-includes marshmellows, christmas and lots and lots of bingo...


O zi buna! (have a good day!)
Psalm 23

No comments: